25 October 2006

Guys' Answer to Chick-Flicks


I have noticed lately that there are guy-flicks springing up: sappy movies for guys. Not real tear jerkers like chick-flicks, but sappy enough for the guys' sensitive side. (However, I beg to differ about which kind of chick-flicks actually jerk tears, as I am not that girly.) But anyway, movies like Click, Bruce Almighty and even The Bourne Identity all appeal to the somewhat romantic side of guys - Bourne appealing more to the romance of kicking ass, but romantic nevertheless (he ends up with his girl at the end, on the run - sigh). A shift in the gender emotional climate or desperate yet still pathetically effective Holllywood marketing? Can anyone say "Metrosexual"? (I gotta go puke now.) But don't get me wrong, I'm not against men being a little sappy, but I am against pussy wimpy guys, and it seems that my sisters are changing men into something I'd not rather deal with: whiny guys who also wear nail polish. For god's sakes, Chick Liddel sported a pedicure on the reality show!! CHUCK LIDDEL!! I can't live in a world with romantic guys films and manicured man-hands; I just CAN'T do it.

No comments: