14 November 2006

The Return to Rock and Roll


So if you're like me and you're sick of the clowns posing as rock stars, then heed my words - rock is being reborn!! Two bands that I have come across recently that have made me believe in the thunderous gods of rock again are Wolfmother and The Raconteurs. Now, the Raconteurs has none other than Jack white from the White Stripes. I had no idea when he put the band together, and I hadn't heard anything about them (alas, I am out of the MTV demographic) until my boyfriend popped the CD into the car player and I was like, "Who is THIS?!" Thus one of the merciful gods of rock touched me right there on Atlantic Avenue. And of course a recovering pothead of my magnitude can't possibly remember how I came across Wolfmother. I think I had read about them and liked the name. And at the time I was starving for new music so I just hopped on iTunes and bought them. (Who buys CD's anymore...except my boyfriend...) It was like Led Zeppelin reincarnated - that soulful, very earthy rock sound and delicious lyrics that make you want to roll in mud for three days and trip on acid. So now I testify!! Rock is coming back!! Also, in case you were wondering what other gems of rock I tend to like, they are:

Interpol
The Bravery
Kasabian
Green Day (how could you NOT like these guys?)
Liz Phair
The Yeah Yeah Yeahs
The Killers (also bringing rock back)
Jane's Addiction (I know, I know a little old for this list, but AWESOME)
The Stone Roses (also old, but freakin' GOOD)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

**sheepishly** Jay and I still buy CDs. As with my book collection (1200+ and still growing), there's a sense of pride involved in the ownership of the physical case ... having the lyrics in front of you if you want them ... the art that goes into the cover.

Not sure if you'd like them but you might want to check out Lunachicks (the album I have is called Luxury Problem), Nashville Pussy (raunchy, southern fried rock).

I'll bet you'd also like Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds.

Unknown said...

You can't get the whole album on iTunes or online. So, I'm not going to let Steve Jobs or Crapster dictate the music I listen to. I like to see the music on the cd as I rub habanero pepper juice on my balls. Also, when the computer crashes- I'll have back up.