19 January 2007

Banks, Or As I like To Call Them, Legal Loan Sharking Mafioso


Listen to my tale of woe, it's terribly sad but true....I had checked my balance two weeks ago to make sure I had some money in the bank. I did. So I went out and spent, as usual, doing my weekly shopping: groceries, pet supplies, laundry and the likes. Then the weekend hits. I go out, pay for food and drinks and then end up at a bar that takes cash only. OK. I step out to an ATM to get some cash and come to find out I have "Insufficient Funds". I was shocked to the point that I stared at that ATM screen wondering how it had learned to lie. Next morning I get online and as it turns out, when I had checked my balance previously, I sure enough did have money there. But as luck would have it, a check I wrote had cashed probably the minute I had logged off and it was just the amount I thought I had. OK. So why did the bank let me keep spending money, spiraling me into a negative balance? Why was I not alerted that I had gone under? Why was I still allowed to spend money that wasn't there? The loan shark gets his cut of money you "borrow". Somehow my bank has now extended a line of credit to me that I did not ask for!! Oh yes kids, the banks now say they are "covering" any spending you do so that you don't get a decline on the register of you seem to have insufficient funds. They have come up with the line that they are looking out for you. But lo, each time you run your pretty little card, they charge about $35 for an "Overdraft Fee", on EACH purchase you make. The loan shark effect. So in essence, that is a LEGAL fee they charge, like a loan shark, for you "borrowing" their fucking "kindness". This is legal!! It's only legal because it it a set amount, not something that they can change at a whim (for now). And you know why they know they can do this? Because they they have come up with the GENIUS plan to offer you free checking if you have direct deposit. You see kids, that's how they GET YOU. If you have direct deposit, they KNOW they will get that money back, plus their fees. So they let you spend and spend so that they may amass the overdraft fees into a large sum to take away from you when you get your salary deposited into your account. Brilliant. Just fucking brilliant how capitalism has turned into this ugly monster which manufactures greedy monster zombies and all but stamps out the poor. When is this going to end? How long are people going to put up with this? When does this kind of sneaky thievery cross the line? When are the rest of folks going to get angry enough to affect a change?

I swear to god and everything good left on this earth the conspiracy is real.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written article.